Monday, September 19, 2016

Reaction to Peer Review

One of the most helpful things about reading my peers’ papers is seeing their stance and writing style on a similar topic. It’s really interesting seeing how another writer writes and how they argue a topic, but it’s especially intriguing when the topic in question is the same or similar to what you’re arguing. I found myself drawing new similarities and discovering new perspectives on pieces of text I had previously ignored. In the same vein, seeing others’ points also showed me places where my argument could be refuted, and therefore a place where I need to better develop my argument. Doing this peer review definitely helped me formulate a better argument just by reading other point of views in other papers.

On my paper in particular, the comments were quite helpful in pointing out little grammar mistakes I’ve missed and repetitive wording I may have forgotten to delete. However, the most helpful commentary comes from their perspective of my paper. I always try my hardest to write a paper that clearly and easily explains my point to a reader without much deciphering or confusion on the reader’s end, but this task isn’t always easy and I’m not the best at it. When reading my own paper, I can remember what was going through my head at the time and can easily make heads or tails of whatever sentence I may be reading, but to a reader, that sentence could be excessively confusing and vague. Just having a peer read my essay is useful since wherever they’re confused is wherever I need to edit.

No comments:

Post a Comment