Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Introductory Reading Assignment


  1. This course is necessary because it provides an opportunity for students to significantly enhance their reading and writing skills. A strong English background is crucial for all individuals to possess regardless of their career. Even so, the course is more than simply an extension of a high school English class. It teaches students how to read and write creatively and introduces new methods of thinking. The knowledge and skills gained from this class can be applied to modern society and ensure a more promising future.
  2. My best reason for why I shouldn’t have to take this course is that I completed AP English Language and Composition and AP English Literature in high school. These classes have significantly improved my reading and writing skills, exemplified by the high grades I earned on my final papers. Since I am following a pre-med track, it is not necessary for me to be an exceptional English student. It would be more beneficiary to focus on the science classes related to my major.
  3. To refute my own counter-argument, this course is not simply a repeat of my AP English classes. It represents a higher level of learning that will encourage me to utilize my mind in unconventional ways. This course will transform me as a reader, writer, and thinker, granting me knowledge and skills to help solve present day issues.  Even if I am following a pre-med track, possessing exceptional English skills will be of tremendous advantage. Working in the medical field, I will need to communicate coherently and think creatively to solve issues.
  4. I think “to use writing as a way of thinking new thoughts” (xviii) means that writing inspires the brain to wander to an unexpected place.  It is an outlet for the writer to explore new ideas and essentially think new thoughts.  As the reader makes connections between works and forms his own opinions on the written material, even more new thoughts are being created.
  5. The rationale of the New Humanities is that in order for society to hold a promising future, education must be transformed. The New Humanities explains how “If the humanities are going to survive, they must be understood in a new way: not as a particular area of knowledge but as the human dimension of all knowledge” (xxiii). Education should no longer emphasize specialization, but rather focus on developing scholars that are well educated in all areas of learning. After all, the issues pressing modern society can not be simply resolved by one area of expertise. Incorporating knowledge from various areas of study is the most efficient way to arrive at a solution.
  6. The concept of the “shared horizon” is that individuals are all connected to one another, resulting in an endless amount of opportunities. Through intertwining knowledge, individuals extend their limits even further to the point where there is ultimately no limit.  This shared horizon is significant because through collaboration, humans are able to resolve issues and build a successful society.
  7. The authors use the term “retrospective view” in a specialized way when discussing creative reading.  Retrospective means “looking back,” so the authors are referring to taking a second look at a work in order to grasp a better understanding or discover a different interpretation.  By isolating a small section of the text and then re-examining the entire document, one may arrive at new realizations or form connections amongst seemingly distinct ideas.  The “retrospective view” is essential to understanding the deeper meaning of a work and discovering novel ideas.
  8. The NHR’s vision of writing is strikingly different from my previous experiences in high school.  I have always been taught to write structurally and strictly follow the guidelines so that the reader can clearly understand my ideas. However, the NHR encourages writing freely with the hope that new ideas can be formed from reading the work. Overall, I am strongly interested in seeing what exactly Exposition and Argumentation entails.  Although I originally wasn’t very enthused to take this course,  I agree with the idea that an individual well rounded in all areas of knowledge is imperative for solving modern day issues. The New Humanities has opened my mind and introduced me to a new perspective of reading and writing. Forming connections, taking creative approaches, and sharing knowledge with one another benefits the well being of society.  

No comments:

Post a Comment