Monday, September 19, 2016

Reaction to Peer Review

     My experience with the first peer review process was mostly positive. I would like to clarify that I am very appreciative of the criticism that my peers provided me with. With that being said, the time constraints provided by the limited class period resulted in me feeling like the peer review process was incomplete. One of the classmates who was reading my paper did not have time to complete his review. As a result, I am not able to take a whole lot away from his review. Additionally, to me it feels that much of the criticism received relates to things that I could see in my own paper when using the peer review sheet as I guide, though I suppose that this statement is actually a praise of the review sheet. The review sheet was well-made and very specific, which would allow the writer to use it to see his own shortcomings despite the nearsightedness that often comes with being the author. With that being said, I do feel like I walked out of that class period with a better capacity to finalize my paper. For that reason, I consider the peer review process to be a success. Having two more sets of eyes read over my paper is never something that I will take for granted. The pieces of advice related to things such as quotations are not something that I would have been able to spot on my own. My peers also reaffirmed the things that I have done right, which helps me to have confidence in my writing. Furthermore, the opportunity to read the papers written by my classmates has provided me a more comprehensive view of the Davidson and Johnson essays, as they point out things in it that I did not notice. I can use the knowledge I gathered from their papers to see flaws in my position and continue to improve upon my own essay. As a whole, this process went well and I am hopeful that we will continue to use it with papers to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment