Friday, September 16, 2016

Peer Review Experience

I was having a little trouble figuring out what to write about next.The peer review gave me some ideas of how to improve my argument by giving me some more possible points to use. I now know I can and should expand upon Alan Turing and his achievements and possibly find some outside evidence of my claims surrounding him. Before the review, I had not considered looking at other sources besides the two essays by Davidson and Johnson. It is important to get some evidence outside of these works because some of my claims are based upon a specific time period. Neither essay really addresses the issues I'm specifically fighting for, so I need to find some proof outside of them. Another issue that was brought up, I have a tendency to summarize a little more than necessary. So I need to explain my ideas instead of simply restating someone else's. I was very surprised how my peers could be critical and yet respectful of my writing at the same time. Usually I associate criticism with a negative light, but my peers successfully showed me my flaws in a constructive manner. I believe I was able to do the same for them. Now that I realize my peers are not going to judge my views harshly, I feel more comfortable seeking them out for help or suggestions. Also, it was interesting to see other people's writing styles and ideas. In my peer's writing, they made some connections that I did not see before. It kind of helped me open my eyes a little more and make a few more connections myself. Overall, I found the peer review helpful and would not object to doing it again.

1 comment:

  1. Jared, for this paper you don't need to use outside sources; material from the NHR is sufficient. What you might consider doing is ensuring that you're building your argument from the claims made by Johnson and Davidson, rather than trying to recreate their argument through their examples.

    ReplyDelete