Thursday, December 8, 2016

Reflection

As I continue to edit my research paper and reread my previous blog posts, the focus of my paper has somewhat shifted away from simply focusing on how inequality affects communication, and now also looks at how inequality to used to divert responsibility. In the Matt Shepard case, I originally looked at how information was spread after his murder, and did not really analyze the inequality in the case.Rather than taking responsibility for the fact that a hate crime was committed in the town, the media first tried to claim that it was the result of an economic divide between the two sides of the crime, blaming the fact that those from the poorer side of town used Matt as a symbol of their vengeance towards those who were more well off. Similarly, in the pharmaceutical case, the drug companies do not take responsibility for their actions or the side effects their drugs may cause, and instead push the responsibility on the doctors prescribing them. My writing skills have changed over the semester because now when reading a text, I pay closer attention to possible connections, and spend more time analyzing those connections in my writing. In my first essays, it took much more time for me to get to my point in my writing while also connecting pieces, but now, my writing has become more succinct and I focus on getting to my point faster and with more concise language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment